[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: extra members for GA

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Nov 12 01:45:43 EET 2023

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 12:39:45PM +0000, Kieran Kunhya via ffmpeg-devel wrote:
> > The list does not match your list, for example Gautam is on your list
> > but not on joshs
> >
> > So my question is still standing, can you explain how your list was created?
> > or where its from?
>
> How was the list of your root admins created? Who decided they would be root?

while off topic and i think a flame bait.

the reason why iam one of the 6 root admins?

Because in the very distant past there was a fork that controlled the server and i had
no access and no server so i had to be admin on the new server. (but thats the past
and its better to let this rest, the war is long over and both sides have forgotten and
forgiven each other, please do not bring this up again, it was agreed by people of both
sides IIRC that this subject should be layed to rest!)

Also
git shortlog -s -n | egrep 'Michael Niedermayer|Kieran Kunhya'
 28789	Michael Niedermayer
    91	Kieran Kunhya

Why arpi ? because he provided the server, and risked his job for years
to host it. Not once complaining about the bandwidth. And the only thing he got
was hatred from the community. Only when his bosses all left and he was the only
one left knowing that this server existed did we had to move.

why Reimar ? because the server is hosting ffmpeg and MPlayer and reimar was at
the time the main developer / "leader" of MPlayer. And even today decades later
reimar is still available, if theres an emergency with the server iam confident
he can make some free time to help. I think thats impressive for a 0$ per year
payment. Reimar is also a major contributor and author of FFmpeg with over 1400
commits

why Alexander ? he has helped with many things, trac related, backups, and same as
reimar he is reliable, still around after 10+ years with 0$ per year payment

why Nikolay ? He is the guy from the new place that is hosting the new server,
he has helped with so many things, i cannot possibly enumerate them. From bringing up
patchwork, doing upgrades, the backup system both sw and a seperate system to host them,
and also doing all this for 0$ to us. Where else can you find a professional
admin doing that ?

Why Thresh ? He was and is admin in various places, someone with significant experience.
The most recent person to join. and the backup in case everyone else is unavalable.

Now i think thats a pretty decent team even if we have to pay people. But they all
cost us 0$

Why not you ?
I think you where root on the trac server you provided and where hosting for us.
but you kicked FFmpeg out and shut that down around the time of the
vote to ban carl. But its long ago and maybe i misremember. We had a backup
server and recovered with noone noticing the trac server moved.
(now we do not have a backup server anymore)

You have extensive knowledge in the broadcast area, and i have often
found your tweets funny. Iam not sure why you are sometimes so
aggressive/hostile

The thing is if everyone currently in FFmpeg would be working together not
only would we all enjoy working in FFmpeg alot more it just would be better

If a bugfix only changes things apparently unrelated to the bug with no
further explanation, that is a good sign that the bugfix is wrong.