[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Repeat vote: GA voters list updates

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Nov 12 23:38:59 EET 2023

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 07:34:07PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-11-12 19:02:31)

> > > Multiple people (including myself) have already posted their voting URLs publicly
> > > so this 'vote' outcome will be extremely questionable at best.
> >
> > i saw it.
> > I guess its your right to protest that way, its your ballot
> >
> > its a bit unfortunate.
> > i have not really finished investigating what exactly happened in the
> > previous vote, but more information is still trickling in.
> > There where mistakes made in the previous vote though i doubt they
> > affected the outcome, but i do not know
>
> There were mistakes made in this "vote" as well. Even disregarding the
> question of its legitimacy, Thilo's list had two duplicates. After
> removing them (which it's not clear whether Thilo did - so much for
> transparency), it was identical to JB's list except for Thilo's having
> three fewer entries.
>
> One is Gautam, who AFAICT has not had any contact with the project
> since 2020.
>
> One is Ting Fu, whose Intel mailbox no longer exists, and so his
> presence or absence on the list does not matter as he cannot receive the
> voting link.
>
> One is Thilo himself, who was added to the list after his assertion that
> he voted in 2020 and so should vote now [1]. In other words, he asked to be
> added to the list and then used his presence on it to argue that the
> list is invalid. Draw your own conclusions about this.
>

> Overall I simply do not see how is stoking the flames and feeding the
> drama supposed to help the project. The main issue is that we, as a
> project, failed in 2020 to make the process sufficiently clear, so any
> voter list can be questioned. Thankfully it does not matter, because the
> result of the vote was so overwhelmingly in favor of one option, that
> none of the proposed alternative lists could possibly change it.
>
> I would thus propose to end wasting time on meaningless arguments and
> move on to something actually productive, like reviews, patches, and the
> rest of the two proposed votes.

i agree
i still am working on my investigation of the previous vote
and i think i want to show this to a few people before posting it
here so it gets a bit peer review first. (also i dont want to post it deeply
in a random thread as noone will find that again)
(its a very simple terse list ATM)
I see through your list above that you are qualified to review this
so i will send it to you :)

> > I think anton, thilo and jb should have paused the votes and waited
> > until we fully understand the previous votes issues.
> > now it becomes only more messy
> > previous vote, repeat vote, some agree some disagree thats the right path
> > next votes following on top of ?
> > some calls to changes to vote admin, some calls to change vote superviser
> > some calls to change server
> >
> > in a week we have 8 servers 16 vote admins 32 vote supervisers and 64
> > different outcomes of the previous vote
> >
> > we can get rich by renting out all that vote infra we soon will have ;)
>
> The only reason to have our own vote server in the first place was that
> the one run by its author [2] did not implement proportional
> representation at the time. That has now changed, so I propose we simply
> switch to it.

Thilo has fixed the email loging after the last vote. So from now on
we will know exactly who get a vote email. This is a big advantage to
avoid the sort of mess we have ATM

Elect your leaders based on what they did after the last election, not
based on what they say before an election.