[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Repeat vote: GA voters list updates

J. Dekker jdek at itanimul.li
Mon Nov 20 18:08:43 EET 2023

Derek Buitenhuis <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/20/2023 3:44 PM, Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-devel wrote:
>> the results are available at [1]. As they confirm the just updated GA list as
>> well as the update procedure twice a year on Jan 1st & Jul 1st, I think the
>> upcoming votes (extra GA members, TC/CC elections) can then proceed as announced.
>
> The vote was not valid and announcing them like this is misleading.
>
> - Derek

Here's a link to the original vote results:

https://vote.ffmpeg.org/cgi-bin/civs/results.pl?id=E_029f7195fed7aadf

Yes, 'redoing' the vote is completely questionable; yes, even I objected
to it personally. And whilst we don't know how reliable the 2nd vote
was, the outcome is still the same as the original vote: this means that
it is possible to both discard the 2nd vote and prefer it (depending on
your perspective).

Some previous mails quoted me on IRC but seemed to omit essential
information, so I will repeat it here on the mailing list. The original
voter list was made in a few minutes by myself and the exact copy was
lost to time, I found different versions looking through my mails sent
and it's pretty unreliable. Saving the git hash and a date was something
added later.

However, none of this is really relevant since all we really need is a
general consensus to update the GA list using the script--from which we
are able to have a traceable list of voters and stop worrying about
this.

In short: We should be able to move forward now.

--
jd