[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: TC/CC elections

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Nov 28 14:34:17 EET 2023

Quoting Ronald S. Bultje (2023-11-28 13:19:00)
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 6:58 AM Anton Khirnov <anton at khirnov.net> wrote:
>
> > There are reports from people on IRC that they got confused by the
> > change and voted the reverse of what they meant. Sadly there is no way
> > to change your vote after it's been case, so if there is a nontrivial
> > number of such people, we may want to redo the vote.
> >

> Serious suggestion: maybe the vote invitation email (or something similar)
> should explain in more detail how the voting is to be done if it is
> non-trivial?

1) I did not expect that picking proportional representation would
   change the UI so dramatically. And since I did not know what it would
   look like, I could hardly describe it in detail.
2) The UI in general could be improved, to put it mildly. Even for
   "normal" votes there is the potential point of confusion that more
   preferred candidates are higher visually, but have a lower numerical
   rank. So a statements like "X ranks higher than Y" could potentially
   be interpreted either way.
3) People generally dislike parsing long detailed explanations. Making
   the text longer could cause more voters to misinterpret it, or not
   bother reading it at all.

So while I'm all for improving descriptions, it's not all that easy to
do. Patches welcome.

--
Anton Khirnov