[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming vote: TC/CC elections

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Thu Nov 30 22:43:50 EET 2023

On 2023-11-30 00:14 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 02:23:13PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > For the record, I've edited the vote description to make it more clear.
> > It now looks like this:
> >
> >  Five people from the list below will become the members of the Technical
> >  Committee (TC). Assign weights to each person according to how much you
> >  want them to be in the committee (higher weight = higher preference).
> >

> >  The system will assume you want to maximise the sum of weights of
> >  selected candidates. E.g. if X is given a weight of 10 and Y and Z have
> >  weights 8 and 6 respectively, then the voting algorithm will assume you
> >  prefer a committee with both Y and Z over one with X, because 14 > 10.
> >  However, giving Y and Z weight of 4 and 2 instead would have expressed
> >  that X is preferred to a combination of Y and Z, because 6 < 10.
>
> My try in cooking word soup:
>
> The system will assume you want to maximise the sum of weights of the
> selected candidates.
>
> Some examples:
> If you give Jerry a weight of 10 and give Tom a weight of 9, that means
> you prefer Jerry over Tom because 10 > 9
> If you give Spike a weight of 20 that would mean you not only prefer Spike
> over Tom OR Jerry but also over Tom AND Jerry. Because 20 > 10 + 9
>
> OTOH if you give Spike a weight of 18 that would mean you prefer Spike over
> Tom OR Jerry but you prefer Tom AND Jerry over Spike.
> Because: 9   < 10    < 18     < 9 + 10
>          Tom < Jerry < Spike  < Tom and Jerry

This is similar to the improved notice from Anton, but IMHO makes it
a bit more tangible by using person names and by also explaining it
in a longer way with AND, OR, and more spacing.

Not sure how easy it is to add to the voting and get a proper
layout/formatting like in this mail with fixed width though.

Also not sure if combined-weights mode and the way it makes
voting itself harder (at least the first time one is confronted
with it) is worth to keep for the next vote.

I personally have no strong opinion. This is not complaint.

  Alexander