[FFmpeg-devel] VDD 2023, FFmpeg meeting notes, (23-11-2023, 4pm, Dublin)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Oct 3 22:29:43 EEST 2023

Le tiistaina 3. lokakuuta 2023, 21.50.25 EEST Nicolas George a écrit :
> More precisely, I now strongly believe that democracy is a terrible way
> to run a project like FFmpeg.
>
> As the project grows, democracy gives an increasing weight to people who
> came late to contribute to the project in specialized ways (maintaining
> code for a specific arch) for external reasons.

That sure is a suspiciously specific examplary case.

For the record, this particular issue was not raised or defended by me,
whether in person or on list. And if you meant the LoongArch people, they were
not even at the meeting (and they are most likely on holiday at this time).

Also neither they nor I are members of the GA (at least I am not), so we have
literally zero weight in the meritrocratic democracy. I did however spot a lot
of support for this motion from members of the GA who did *not "come late to
contribute to the project in specialized ways (maintaining code for a specific
arch) for external reasons".

With that noted, I shall be cowardly today and leave it to them to defend
their point.

--
レミ・デニ-クールモン
http://www.remlab.net/