[FFmpeg-devel] VDD 2023, FFmpeg meeting notes, (23-11-2023, 4pm, Dublin)

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Wed Oct 4 17:51:12 EEST 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-27 20:03:12)
> > again IMO any change to what SW we use needs more discussion than a
> > "who likes gitlab, who likes gitwhatever" vote
>
> I think its very important that we do not loose independance and run
> our own infrastructure.
>
> That said.
>
> I think we should make a detailed list of what people actually want
> closing bugs with git commits ?
> creating new tickets with mails ?
> controlling the whole infrastructure from the command line ?
>
> then with sw/implementation options then
> (maybe some of the wanted things can be easily added even to some infrastructure options
>  that otherwise lack them)
>
> expected costs (admin time) of each and
> expected benefits (developer time saved)

One highly important potential benefit you're not considering is how
many people fail to become developers because the barrier to entry is
too high or because the project gives off the air of obsolescence.

I do share many of your concerns though, and this should definitely be
considered in detail.

--
Anton Khirnov