[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Oct 9 20:41:43 EEST 2023

On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 05:37:42AM +0200, Lynne wrote:
> Jul 6, 2023, 18:04 by dev at lynne.ee:
>
> > It's been a while since we've had a release, and we've had
> > a lot of new features in.
> > We did say we would make releases more often, and I think
> > it's about time we have a new release.
> >
> > Anything anyone wants to have merged or should we branch
> > off 6.1 in a few days?
> >

> Could we consider at least branching off 6.1?

we can consider branching whenever theres a consensus to do so
People are always quick in saying what they want in / done before
releases/branching. But its rare that people later reply and say that an issue
was resolved.
This makes monitoring for what blockers remain painfull
i think for the next release we should automate this
because trac has a "Blocking" field and that could be set to 6.1
for example and then one can just query trac for all open tickets
that are blocking "6.1"
Which would make it MUCH easier to know what is blocking it and would
make it easier to know when all blockers are gone
ATM one has to go over multiple threads and then figure out what people
asked for to be done first and then find out if the things are still
not done.

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision
of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet
notwithstanding go out to meet it. -- Thucydides