[FFmpeg-devel] SWS cleanup / SPI Funding Suggestion

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Oct 14 01:02:34 EEST 2023

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 04:30:56PM -0400, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 3:19 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I propose using 15k$ from SPI for funding sws cleanup work.
> > this is substantially less than what people belive this needs (see IRC
> > logs from yesterday or so)
> > So it really is more a small price for a good deed and not proper payment.
> > This of course is only available to competent developers. (exact rules or
> > how thats determined
> > would still need to be decided unless its a clear case)
> > Also the exact outcome and goal would need to be discussed by the
> > community and whoever
> > does the work.
> > But some goals would probably be to make sws
> > * pleasent to work with
> > * similar speed or faster
> > * proper multithreading
> > * proper full colorspace convertion not ignoring gamma, primaries, ...
> > * clean / understandable modular design (maybe everything can be a
> > "Filter" inside sws
> >   that get build into a chain)
> >
> > Proper payment (50k$ maybe) would be too much in relation to what SPI has
> > ATM (150k$)
> >
> > Above all, this is just my oppinion, the actual SPI funding also would
> > need to
> > be approved by the community. This can happen after a specific volunteer
> > comes forth
> > or before, whichever way the community prefers.
> >

> Hi Michael,

Hi Vittorio

[...]

> if we absolutely
> need no external deps,

Yes, you are correct

> then write an entirely new library,

The path and the end result are 2 different things
The end result that this funding is for is a clean libswscale
aka a clean "image convertion lib inside FFmpeg".

I think the path should be decided by the developer doing the work, if she wants to
extend libplacebo and import that, sure ok too with me

Only the contents of the C, H and asm files affects the people using the code
And i expeted some reused code, so i call it cleanup.

Things called "rewrites" also often failed. So its IMHO a sligtly cursed term,
but they are just terms, what the rsult is matters

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates