[FFmpeg-devel] SWS cleanup / SPI Funding Suggestion

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 22:38:39 EEST 2023

On Sat, Oct 14, 2023 at 1:00 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> PS: whats the real issue with sws ?
> it evolved out of a piece yuv->rgb converter from a video player.
> It evolved from that and stuff was added into it.
> This is a similar situation to why ffmpeg.c needed cleanup

I'll give you two real issues:
* It's based on an archaic design that doesn't let people contribute to it
easily, and thus it's not very extensible. New code paths *can* be added,
but it's very difficult and it can lead easily astray, with often
unpredictable conversions and bugs subtly introduced.
* It's prefixed with sw- while the rest of libraries are prefixed with av-
(and to my understanding there is no real reason behind this) (yes i'm
aware of lswr).

I think the compromise of having a backend-based API backed by different
libraries is the way forward, no cleanups, no rewrites.
--
Vittorio