[FFmpeg-devel] SWS cleanup / SPI Funding Suggestion

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 01:12:27 EEST 2023

On date Wednesday 2023-10-18 19:30:11 +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le keskiviikkona 18. lokakuuta 2023, 0.57.45 EEST Michael Niedermayer a écrit
> :
> > On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 09:50:41PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
[...]
> > > What happens if more than one credible developer wants to take up the
> > > project?
> >
> > Then 15k$ was too much
>
> So that's lowest bidder paradigm. Then you have to have a SoW first. See above.

This is similar to some of the issues with the GSOC program, the same
amount of money can mean something very different depending on the
contributors country/cost of life. So it is not really possible to
make a fixed price which is fair to everyone. Possibly it should be
computed depending on the country of the candidate developer depending
on some economic parameter.

> (...)
> > Whats the worst that can happen ?
>
> The project fails because the terms were too vaguely defined. The GA become
> even more reluctant to spend what little money FFmpeg has. Developers are
> turned off from applying for sponsorship from FFmpeg. The contracted developer
> rage-quits.

I can see this happening, but we cannot really predict without trying
- and we can learn from failure.

Another option would be to have something similar to bounties
(e.g. 100$ for each bug fixed - at least this might get low-hanging
fruits go away easily).

Or with some more organization we migth have the equivalent of FFSOC -
although this would be much more complicated to setup (since you have
to check with the student status and get the economical part straight,
deal with drops-out and so on).