[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at mail.de
Thu Oct 26 22:41:41 EEST 2023

Am 26.10.23 um 21:02 schrieb Kieran Kunhya:

>> * If you have some flashy FFmpeg project you want to work on with a cost of
>>    between 5-15k $ then propose it on the mailing list, make yourself ready
>> for
>>    some paperwork complexities and some public debate as thats the first
>> time we
>>    try this, there will be extra issues likely. And once the community
>> approves
>>    it and stefano with you double checks with SPI if we will be able to
>> fund it.
>>    Then you can start working on it
>>

> The mailing list is already an absolute disaster as it is and you now want
> to put money into the mix?

Of course. FFmpeg has a donations account. So the money is already there and
already used for the reimbursement requests. Whatever we spent it for needs to
be decided by the community. Spending more money instead of just watch it
growing is a good thing. That this will lead to more "disaster" is an assumption
without basis. Even if this does happen and fails, its still better than not
having even tried.

Also, you just advertised FFmpeg and asked for more financial support in your
talk at Demuxed [1] - so I figure your prefered way of doing that would be to
channel money into some company without the community being involved?

And since you also advertised explicitly for FFlabs - what is your relation to
FFlabs? I own 25% of that company and I am not aware of any relationship. You
just did advertise FFlabs because... FFlabs exists? FFlabs is a company co-owned
by some FFmpeg developers, it's not FFmpeg nor can it represent it or act on its
behalf.

As soon as we pay developers via SPI it can become a good zero-trust environment
for donators to offer tasks & money to FFmpeg and handle the money flow via SPI.
The donators can be sure that their issues are handled properly in the project
(on the ML) and do not flow away into some other sink and the developers can be
sure to get their money from SPI because the offer is public and backed by the
FFmpeg SPI account. Sounds like a quite trustworthy and most importantyl
transparent way to handle things and build up trust in potential donators that
the money they spent actually end up with FFmpeg.

> I don't think developers should be paid via SPI for this reason.

I think supporting FFmpeg developers via SPI fits perfectly into what we have
SPI for in the first place - an independant entity that handles the community
funds with absolute objectivity and no intrinsic interest whatsoever. In
contrast to any company, including (my own-ish) FFlabs.

-Thilo

[1]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B9VoiT6sjW4vWWsp6ipudLz73QtdBbGi/view?usp=sharing