[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] upcoming GA vote

Jan Ekström jeebjp at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 14:24:21 EEST 2023

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 4:14 PM Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-devel
<ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 24.10.23 um 23:15 schrieb Anton Khirnov:
> > Hi all,
> > as discussed at the dev meeting at VDD, we need to have a series of
> > votes, the first of which concerns defining when is the GA voter list to
> > be updated.
> >
> > As the previous attempt to vote on this was hampered by email delivery
> > issues, and also criticized due to inadequate advance announcement, the
> > vote was closed and we are going to try again.
> >
> > This time, to avoid any confusion, let me clearly state that this is a
> > declaration of intent to initiate a GA vote next Monday (2023-10-30),
> > unless there are substantial objections.
> >
> > The vote question will be:
> >     How do we update the list of active members of the general assembly?
> >
> > Proposed possibilities so far are:
> > * twice a year (1st Jan & 1st July)
> >    (suggested at VDD)
> > * before each vote
> >    (suggested at VDD)
> > * never (keep the 2020 version)
> >    (suggested at VDD)
> > * keep everyone who had vote rights but add active developers each jan/july
> >    (suggested by Michael on the ML)
> >
> > Feel welcome to propose additional possibilities until Friday
> > 2023-10-27.
> >
> > Other constructive comments also welcome.
> >

> To test the voting beforehand this time, I created a test vote with a fake-GA
> member list. All of the following people should have received a corresponding
> mail. If you are part of this list, but did not receive an email, check your
> spam folder for the sender: ffmpeg.voting at mail.de. Please comment if you didn't
> get the mail.
>
> The list is as follows:
>
> andreas.rheinhardt at gmail.com
> andriy.gelman at gmail.com
> anton at khirnov.net
> barryjzhao at tencent.com
> ceffmpeg at gmail.com
> cus at passwd.hu
> dcnieho at gmail.com
> derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com
> dev at lynne.ee
> devin.heitmueller at ltnglobal.com
> epirat07 at gmail.com
> ffmpeg at gyani.pro
> george at nsup.org
> git at haasn.dev
> haihao.xiang at intel.com
> jamrial at gmail.com
> jan.ekstrom at 24i.com

I have received the e-mail this time, which is great. But it seems
like my worry about the mail map being the wrong way around was not
unfounded. This e-mail is not the "community member Jan" me, and
should never have any committer cases as I generally attempt to air
gap the two sides.

I'll try to post a patch today either inverting their order (which
hopefully outputs my community member e-mail), or - since this e-mail
is never supposed to apply to any committer cases - removing it.

Jan