[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Oct 27 15:27:00 EEST 2023

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 01:10:15PM +0200, Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-devel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 27.10.23 um 12:43 schrieb Rémi Denis-Courmont:
> >

> > Le 26 octobre 2023 18:45:23 GMT+03:00, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> a écrit :
> > > This is financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)
> > > ATM SPI has like 150k $, we do not activly seek donations, we do not currently
> > > use SPI money to fund any development. SPI money is ultimately controlled by
> > > the FFmpeg community and everything is transparent and public.
> >
> > > 1. We should fund some FFmpeg development with SPI-FFmpeg money
> >
> > Why should it be via SPI? What's the benefit of that hypothetical future additional funding going via SPI, as opposed to:
>
> obviously transparency and community control. None of which is given by the
> options you list.

SPI is also tax exempt, so depending on the exact financial details of
everything, the cost for the company donating might be lower in relation
to how much money ends with the developer after all taxes

> > - via FFlabs or any other reputable OSS multimedia consulting company,
> > - a consortium of large companies, or
> > - directly to a salaried or freelance developer.
>
> Also, it is not that these shall cease to be done. Using SPI money is one
> more option.

yes, exactly!

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch