[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Kieran Kunhya kierank at obe.tv
Fri Oct 27 16:46:42 EEST 2023

On Fri, 27 Oct 2023 at 05:32, Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 01:43:34PM +0300, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> >

> > Le 26 octobre 2023 18:45:23 GMT+03:00, Michael Niedermayer <
> michael at niedermayer.cc> a écrit :
> [...]
> > >* If you have some flashy FFmpeg project you want to work on with a
> cost of
> > >  between 5-15k $ then propose it on the mailing list, make yourself
> ready for
> > >  some paperwork complexities and some public debate as thats the first
> time we
> > >  try this, there will be extra issues likely.
> >
> > I don't think that code bounties count toward OSS "sustainability". It's
> condoning the so-called jig economy, which is the opposite, IMO.
>
> This is just a first step.
> If we can attract the financial resources to pay people in a repeated
> fashion
> "each month" then thats absolutely what id like to do with SPI

The thing we need for "sustainability" is someone to work full-time on
maintenance work like YUVJ removal that doesn't get done otherwise
(literally we have talked about this for the last five or more years). Nor
would any company fund it as a bounty as it provides no benefit to them.
This is the complete opposite of "some flashy FFmpeg project".

Kieran Kunhya