[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at mail.de
Sat Oct 28 20:21:36 EEST 2023

Am 28.10.23 um 18:43 schrieb Ronald S. Bultje:
> Hi Thilo,
>
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 11:31 AM Thilo Borgmann via ffmpeg-devel <
> ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org> wrote:
>
>> What this is about, is to set up a way to properly spend the SPI money
>> aside
>> from travel & hw. Why we should not do it because some companies
>> beurocracy, I
>> cannot see.
>>

> I sincerely don't think the above description is what Kieran meant when he
> talked about sustainability at Demuxed, which this thread seems to be a
> response to.

I am pretty sure Michael did not start this thread because of Kieran's talk, but
only he can tell.
His talk was just hours ago and I was not there but got that picture from his
slide quickly. That I even mentioned it, was my honest interest about his
connection to FFlabs - well, it just made him being angry about me now, so I
don't persue that any further and for the discussion, its completely irrelevant.
I should have made it more clear its more like a side note.
Yes, it appears that "sustainability" used in both, the talk and the thread, has
been received in a wrong way regarding to this discussion from almost anyone
involved and raised the level of confusing argumentation you mention below.

> I'm happy to elaborate, but I think we're talking about two completely
> different things at this point. Spending SPI money is great. But Kieran
> talked about *raising* donations from the very companies you (seem to?)
> prefer to ignore because of their bureaucracy. If we're talking about
> distinct things, we'll likely end up with distinct (and multiple) solutions.

I agree to the most extend of that. Maybe it could be worthwhile to split this
discussion into both parts of it.

I ignore, or better say don't care about, companies in regard to fund
development (or whatever) over SPI in the context of this discussion _IF_ they
are blocked doing that because of their bureaucracy. And if they do, I am
obviously happy to deal with them in a way that suits them.

-Thilo