[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Sun Oct 29 07:57:58 EET 2023

Oct 29, 2023, 05:51 by michael at niedermayer.cc:

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 09:23:45PM +0200, Lynne wrote:
>
>> Oct 28, 2023, 18:49 by michael at niedermayer.cc:

>> > Whats the status of this ?
>> > I can branch 6.1 anytime
>> >
>> > It was just that jb told me
>> > "6.1 opportunity is gone.
>> >  We're too late on the schedule, and noone had time to work on it, so it is wiser to target 7.0 in January"
>> >
>> > but now i see on IRC
>> > <Lynne> make a damn release already
>> > <durandal_1707> j-b: drop MiNi from release maintership and nominate Lynne
>> > <Lynne> I pledge to bring back /slap IRC messages to those who fail to push the patches they want for release!
>> > <j-b> durandal_1707: good point, we should look at doing another 5.1.x release and a 6.0.x release.
>> >
>> > noone mentioned 5.1.x and 6.0.x to me before
>> >
>> > anyway, ill try to make releases from all maintained branches,
>> >
>> > and will branch 6.1 as soon as Lynne or others say everything is ready.
>> >
>> > thx
>> >

>> It's never too late to make a release. If we do a release now, nothing's stopping
>> us from doing a 7.0 and getting back on track with releases every two months or so,
>> like the plan was.
>>
>> 7.0 is likely to be a pretty big release, with YUVJ removal, (xHE) AAC+fixes, D3D12 hwdec,
>> Vulkan encode and Vulkan AV1, and VVC, and IAMF, and MLP work, so it's a good idea to
>> have a release before all this lands.
>>
>> I think the tree is in a pretty good state ATM, you should go ahead and branch if you're
>> comfortable with it as well.
>>

> branch made

Thanks. I'll get a blog post ready for the transform work, as kierank wanted to post something,
and if users can know to who to point fingers to in case it degrades performance on RPI1 devices.

>> Let's aim for a release by Sunday next week. That should give everyone enough time to
>> backport fixes they want in.
>>

> I would aim for 1-3 weeks (when code and developers are ready)
> dont want to aim for a specific day, better pick a day when everything is fine
> not too many distractions, ...
>
> Or is there something that favors us to be before a specific date ?

Not really a reason, Sunday is just an optimistic date to aim for.
If there are no big fixes to backport to the branch, I think we can target it.