[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Oct 31 19:31:07 EET 2023

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 07:19:41PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le tiistaina 31. lokakuuta 2023, 18.58.57 EET Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
> > > That's not a credible solution for a library. All reverse dependency
> > > developers would disable that before they ship affected FFmpeg versions,
> > > or worse, just stop updating their vendored FFmpeg.
> >
> > If its announced and we point to the commit, maybe half the minor users
> > will remove it, maybe most of the bigger ones. If its not announced
> > noone would remove it. companies do not audit the FFmpeg commits.
> > They would remove it after seeing it but at that point it did what it
> > intended to to, inform users again, like i said thats hypothetical and
> > controversal. But basically doing the same as companies which put
> > advertisements in without asking either creator nor viewer.
>
> How do you show ads without a GUI? Hijack the video signal from the decoder?

In this very very hypothetical idea ...
it would not be a add, but a simple information box shown briefly that says
something like "decoded with ffmpeg.org, donate if you enjoy" / "encoded with ffmpeg.org, donate if you enjoy"

> Call a blocking MessageBox? Start the browser unsolicited?

no, that would not work in many cases and is very intrusive

> In any case, you will only piss people off. And pissed off people are not known
> to give money. Rather they will look for another version of the affected app or
> another app to "fix" the "bug".

its only shown once they dont have to do that.
and for video streaming services they cannot replace the application as it would
be server side. Also for these they are already full of advertisements noone
will be offended by a few seconds shown box with 1-2 lines of text between
several minute adds already.

> And anyhow, somebody would object to the TC, and I cannot believe that the TC
> would then allow that sort of thing to be committed.
>
> But for the sake of the argument...

its hypothetical only really,
more or less to explore a thought experiment, see where it could lead and
if anything can be learnt from it

If you drop bombs on a foreign country and kill a hundred thousand
innocent people, expect your government to call the consequence
"unprovoked inhuman terrorist attacks" and use it to justify dropping
more bombs and killing more people. The technology changed, the idea is old.