[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] financial sustainability Plan A (SPI)

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Oct 31 19:48:58 EET 2023

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 06:37:58PM +0100, Hendrik Leppkes wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 6:31 PM Michael Niedermayer
> <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:

> > > How do you show ads without a GUI? Hijack the video signal from the decoder?
> >
> > In this very very hypothetical idea ...
> > it would not be a add, but a simple information box shown briefly that says
> > something like "decoded with ffmpeg.org, donate if you enjoy" / "encoded with ffmpeg.org, donate if you enjoy"
> >

> If as a professional user of a decoder library, it starts putting in
> an ad or a watermark or whatever you want to call it, even if briefly,
> i'm looking for a new decoder library, or will venture to remove the
> message instantly.
> And if that wasn't enough to completely destroy the projects
> reputation, if you then try to hide it by randomizing or whatever, so
> that testing before deployment doesn't see it, that definitely will.
>
> This is not acceptable behavior for a decoder. And no "exposure" due

like i said, its a hypothetical and controversal thought experiment

> to bad press will actually yield you a benefit.

> Companies won't pay
> you, because that doesn't get rid of the message.

That misses the goal, the goal of this was to reach some of the more than
1 billion users we have and who do not know they are using FFmpeg.

> They'll pay an
> engineer to disable it.

it would just show up once lets say on a specific day 1 year after the code
is added. we would remove it on that day ourselfs.
It would just be a simple one time shown message that says
"Decoded by ffmpeg.org / Please donate, if you enjoy"

Into a blind darkness they enter who follow after the Ignorance,
they as if into a greater darkness enter who devote themselves
to the Knowledge alone. -- Isha Upanishad