[FFmpeg-devel] VDD conference invitation - Dublin 22-24 Sept 2023

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 18:19:45 EEST 2023

On 9/8/2023 10:09 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> There has been a marked shift of project goals over the years. While long ago FFmpeg
> was "all of multimedia". With time the scope of the project has shrunk.
> FFserver was removed not improved, not replaced.
> the video encoder core we had, which encoded from mpeg1 to mpeg4, msmpeg*, rv* and others
> and at the time was the best encoder available (not anymore now, no) but after mpeg4-asp,
> modern video encoders where no longer added to ffmpeg. In one case a advanced encoder for a fringe
> format was rejected

Which encoder was this?

Also, people not submitting encoders is beyond our power and has been
the case for more than a decade. All important video codecs past mpeg2
(H.264/5, VP8/9, AV1, etc) have never gotten an encoder in lavc.
What i would worry the most about is decoders being written in external
libs and glued into lavc. Fortunately VVC is not going that way, but
others have and still are.

> AI based filters are neglegted at a time everything is shifting
> to neural networks and AI. Clientside / "in browser" also has become very important but
> is absent from our documentation, our fate tests, and so on

If there's something that's 100% corporate interest and not a project
from multimedia hobbyists, it's AI.