[FFmpeg-devel] VDD conference invitation - Dublin 22-24 Sept 2023

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Sep 9 17:49:09 EEST 2023

On Fri, Sep 08, 2023 at 03:09:49PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 07:42:17PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> [...]
> > Propose a talk, from 5min to 30min.
[...]
> Clientside / "in browser" also has become very important but
> is absent from our documentation, our fate tests, and so on

Slight elaboration on what i had in mind here as one (of several)
things that should become possible

if we look at something like pyodide, which allows us to simply run python
code client side from a html file
The example on pyodide.org is 21 lines for a complete html file and
works as it is with just a default apache no changes on the server, no building, no
installing of anything just one script link to pyodide.js is added

The same should be possible with FFmpeg. We could be hosting a FFmpeg
wasm js thingy (build from latest FFmpeg and specific FFmpeg versions)
and anyone could just link to that and then run ffmpeg
commands and call public libav* functions from within any
clientside/ in browser scripts

wasm and js is not my area of experties currently so its unlikely i will
work on this, i just think its something we should do.

Thx

The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny
individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand