[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg release 6.1

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Sep 20 20:24:07 EEST 2023

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 11:58:41PM +0200, Lynne wrote:
> Sep 19, 2023, 21:16 by michael at niedermayer.cc:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It is now september. What happened to this release? FFmpeg 6.1 is
> >> currently the only thing blocking the adoption of vulkan video.
> >>

> > there are several security issues that need to be fixed
> > ossfuzz found more, it also put some random unlreated issues again
> > into the same ticket. (which are basically invissible sub-tickets)
> > the evc code also needs a security review, Maybe Dawid is working on this
> > iam not sure. And iam sure theres more
> > We also have a security issue in fate, i belive nicolas is looking into
> > that, that doesnt hold up the release but all these things compete for time
> > and some people you may have noticed tried to just randomly block patches
> > going back and forth on these and discussing with tech/community committtees
> > also took time.
> > And last but not least if people want me to design a standalone SDR library
> > while thats not holding up 6.1 it takes time from the pot from 6.1 work.
> > I did say this, i was attacked but yes time is unforgiving it doesnt care
> >
> > Also I did fall behind with security fixes in the summer a bit, the weather was
> > nice, some members of the community where not nice. So i tried to spend some
> > time with the nice weather
> >
> > If you want 6.1 to happen quick. be nice to me or help with anything that i
> > have to work on 6.1 or other so theres more time in the pot
> > what about merging libplacebo into FFmpeg for example ?
> > As far as iam concerned you can have absolute final power about anything
> > in that libplacebo inside FFmpeg.
> > Or help with the whole SDR thing. If i dont have to think about it and
> > can concentrate on the release and security then yes it will happen faster
> >
> > I also have some paid work under NDA which i signed a contract for, i need
> > to work on that too. Yes code will be submitted to FFmpeg when/if its done
> > And theres life, i have other shit to do too. For example my taxes and i also
> > want to spend some time working on AI/neural nets. I guess that will not be
> > FFmpeg related as id like my work on AI not to be in a similar position to
> > where avradio is now.
> >
> > So yeah, i think theres no problem with 6.1 its just not happening as quick
> > as I and others wanted
> >
> > thx
> >
> > [...]
> > --
> > Michael     GnuPG fingerprint: 9FF2128B147EF6730BADF133611EC787040B0FAB
> >
> > If you think the mosad wants you dead since a long time then you are either
> > wrong or dead since a long time.
> >

> I'm not sure it's a good idea to wait to merge the EVC decoder.
> Perhaps we should move that to the next release.

I dont suggest merging more EVC code before the release. I meant the
EVC code already in git, is reading alot of things with no checks.
It maybe doesnt matter in most cases, as its not used in most cases without
more EVC code but still
Also ATM other things are blocking so EVC still could make it in principle.
Just that the release should not be delayed because of addition of more EVC code
But someone needs to check the existing EVC code in git without checks is safe

> I'd like to get my AAC padding/duration fixes in, and drop lavc's
> old FFT code entirely.

fine

Those who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.