[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg release 6.1 (SDR Plans)

Paul B Mahol onemda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 19:39:26 EEST 2023

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 6:21 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> As the 6.1 release is upcoming and as it was previously stated by me that
> sdr
> will be part of 6.1. Heres some update of what i intend to do about that.

Very bold claim.

> People previously agreed to including a SDR input device in libavdevice
> with
> SDR in a seperate library.
>
> If the community and the SDR code are happy with each other before the
> release
> then SDR will simply be merged and be part of 6.1 like any other feature.
>
> OTOH If a majority of people are against the SDR code at the time of
> branching 6.1. Then i will make a separate release identical to 6.1 with
> the SDR code and of course also provide security support

Very bold claim, there should be real voting otherwise its just your word
against mine.

> Of course iam happy to change my plans if someone has a better suggestion!

I can't and do not want to force you to work on something else. Its your
motivation and decision.

> What i intend to do with SDR next is AVExecutor support to improve
> processing
> capacity with multiple threads and also to look into factoring the code so
> SDR is more seperated, where this will lead to i do not know

Working on SDR inside FFmpeg or part of FFmpeg is wasting resources on
technology that is basically already solved problem,