[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Sep 22 12:27:54 EEST 2023

On Sun, Jul 09, 2023 at 12:14:09PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-07-07 17:06:54)
> > Hi
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 06, 2023 at 06:04:41PM +0200, Lynne wrote:
> > > It's been a while since we've had a release, and we've had
> > > a lot of new features in.
> > > We did say we would make releases more often, and I think
> > > it's about time we have a new release.
> >
> > yes
> >

> > > Anything anyone wants to have merged or should we branch
> > > off 6.1 in a few days?
> >
> > libavradio needs testing, at least build testing.
> > all parts of git master are tested automatically by our user base
> > but anything in seperate repositories might receive less testing
> > so we should encourage people to test these seperate repositories
> > for the release
> >
> > also note iam quite busy ATM, its not the best time for me to
> > do 6.1, so "in a few days" is a bit too optimistic i think
>
> How is libavradio related to the release?

Right, thats a valid question
when i wrote the SDR code it seemed to me that including it in 6.1 was
very simple. But as then some people tried to block SDR by any means
(blocking patches randomly, asking for moving it into a seperate libraray
 while not replying to any questions about that libraray and so on)
that made libavradio now have much more strings attached
then the original simple self contained input device
secondary, i lost the will to really work on FFmpeg around the time
of these attacks, so even without SDR i had limited motivation
and then more things that should be in 6.1 accumulated and summer and
good waether ...
And noone else took up the accumulating work either ...

Now the SDR + blockings is solved by not including any SDR that the
community doesnt like in 6.1 but instead me simply making a seperate
release with SDR, or so i thought. It seems given the replies I seem
to have touched some nerve here too

The idea was really just, that i said ill include SDR and i want to
keep this word so i want our users to have that 6.1 with SDR that i
promised and also have everyone happy about 6.1 and the long term
design of the SDR code.
I have some more comments about the seperate libraray and SDR but
thats better in a seperate mail in the future.

Thanks

"You are 36 times more likely to die in a bathtub than at the hands of a
terrorist. Also, you are 2.5 times more likely to become a president and
2 times more likely to become an astronaut, than to die in a terrorist
attack." -- Thoughty2