[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg release 6.1 (SDR Plans)

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Sep 22 19:32:58 EEST 2023

On Fri, Sep 22, 2023 at 03:55:57PM +0200, Gijs Peskens wrote:

> On 21-09-2023 18:21, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > As the 6.1 release is upcoming and as it was previously stated by me that sdr
> > will be part of 6.1. Heres some update of what i intend to do about that.
> >
> > People previously agreed to including a SDR input device in libavdevice with
> > SDR in a seperate library.
> >
> > If the community and the SDR code are happy with each other before the release
> > then SDR will simply be merged and be part of 6.1 like any other feature.
> >
> > OTOH If a majority of people are against the SDR code at the time of
> > branching 6.1. Then i will make a separate release identical to 6.1 with
> > the SDR code and of course also provide security support
> What does this mean? Does this mean an FFmpeg release containing code that
> interfaces with your SDR library? Or does it mean the library fully
> integrated into FFmpeg?

It depends on the code at the time of release. ATM there is no seperate
library, just a SDR input device.
creating a separte library and the related API/ABI needs to be done with
thought and care not something to rush quickly.

If the United States is serious about tackling the national security threats
related to an insecure 5G network, it needs to rethink the extent to which it
values corporate profits and government espionage over security.-Bruce Schneier