[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Sep 26 21:14:37 EEST 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-26 19:16:30)
> On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 05:30:19PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-26 17:09:47)

> > > This statement is a little misleading, i think
> > >
> > > Iam part of the community, i would think and for 99% of the tweets made
> > > on the official twitter account i have never been asked or even had a
> > > chance to comment before they where made. So what you suggest here is
> > > "the correct way", has never been applied.
> >
> > This is disingenuous sophistry, and honestly I find it insulting that
> > you expect people to swallow it.
> >
> > You made the tweet in question long after it was clear that the feature
> > is controversial. Then you tried to use it as an argument in favor of
> > pushing SDR to master. In other words, you used the fact that you have
> > Twitter posting rights to promote your opinion over that of other
> > developers. If that is not abuse of power then I don't know what is.
>
> ok
> I wrote a SDR input device for free, wanted to give it to the users
> as i believed it was a cool and usefull feature
>
> i tried to argue for it, i tried to promote it.
> And as the person doing all releases of FFmpeg since a very long time
> i thought yeah we will be able to resolve the disagreements and get it
> in 6.1 with everyone geing happy.
> I was wrong, i announced this before i actually got people to agree yes
> I still belive if people where not so "excited" on this whole and if it
> was just a technical question we could get SDR in 6.1 with everyone
> agreeing.
> But now heres a man to be burned at the stake, and thats more important.

You keep framing this as some kind of a personal campaign against you.
It is not. From my perspective, the objections to SDR have been largely
technical, and most of the "heat" comes from your refusal to accept that
many active developers are against it.

> abuse of power ?
> If its abuse of power to risk my position in FFmpeg to try to get users a feature
> i belive in they would like and find cool then yes i abused my power.
>
> Should i ask the counter-question ?
> are the developers who have less than 10 commits since 2017 abusing something
> by organizing and rallying the people against SDR, against the domain owner
> and against me ?

I see zero indication of any of the above.

1) Nobody is rallying anyone against SDR. My objections to it are
   entirely my own. Paul is also against it, and nobody is able to
   make him do anything, as far as I can tell.
   What evidence do you see that anyone's opinion on this question has
   been "organized" or otherwise manipulated?

2) Nobody is attacking Fabrice in any way. Ronald raised the (in my view
   entirely reasonable) observation that someone who has had almost no
   involvement with the project since 2003 should not have the ultimate
   veto power over it. That is not in any way a personal attack, and is
   also entirely unrelated to this.

3) Nobody is attacking you. Disagreeing about technical questions is NOT
   a personal attack.

> Without that, i do belive we could have gotten SDR with everyone being happy
> in 6.1
>
> Anyway, i appologize for announcing SDR in 6.1. I was too much in love with
> SDR and how cool it would be ...
>
> I guess there will be votes to remove me from everything.
> But dont fear, i will not abuse anything, i will resign from everything that
> a correct vote asks me to resign from.

I really wish you would drop the drama, it is entirely unnecessary.
Nobody wants you to resign from anything, people (including me) merely
want you to stop trying to force your opinions on the rest of the
project.

--
Anton Khirnov