[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Sep 28 17:32:29 EEST 2023

Le keskiviikkona 27. syyskuuta 2023, 23.18.29 EEST Michael Niedermayer a écrit
:
> And you can repeat it as often as you want, iam not interrested.
> Why do you not understand this ?

You can repeat the contrary as much as you want, we do not believe that your
SDR code fits in FFmpeg. Why do you not understand this?

(...)
> Then i looked at SDR and wrote the AM/FM demodulation. It added a feature
> that was and is IMO usefull to FFmpeg and libavdevice users.

Like no, seriously. If you really want to generic support for AM and FM RX in
FFmpeg, then you should use implement frontends for the already *existing* HAL
(that would be V4L radio and ALSA on Linux), or perhaps, write a new user-
space HAL library that would accomodate both hardware radio RX devices and
SDR.

In fact, the SDR code has quite a number of impediments that all but guarantee
that it will not "catch on" in FFmpeg:
- it requires niche hardware,
- it only works on some limited set of OSes (if not only Linux),
- it will be subject to all the FFmpeg processes and drama,
- it will be obscured by FFmpeg's existing own fame, remaining an obscure
feature set that hardly anybody outside FFmpeg-devel knows about.

You are doing your own work a disservice by pushing it in FFmpeg, IMO.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
http://www.remlab.net/