[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release 6.1

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Sep 28 19:34:37 EEST 2023

Le torstaina 28. syyskuuta 2023, 19.13.37 EEST Nicolas George a écrit :
> Rémi Denis-Courmont (12023-09-28):
> > Thanks for making my point.
>
> Stealing the other person rhetoric device does not make you right.
>
> > That does not change the fact that it won't make it any popular, and thus
> > your postulate is wrong.
>
> It reach more popular included in FFmpeg than if users have to download
> it separately.

If this were a feature that would be somehow automatically enabled or highly
visible, that would make sense. But not only is it no such thing, it requires
special hardware.

With that noted, for any reasonable understanding of "popularity", it would be
less popular. That is the point. People who want to do SDR will be burdened
with the other 99% of FFmpeg that they don't need for SDR. And that's if they
find out that FFmpeg can actually do SDR - but in all likelihood, they
wouldn't, because of the brand recognition of FFmpeg. Instead, they'd end up
with some SDR-specific projects.

That's why, if Michael does not want to join an existing SDR project, he is
much better off making a new one, than bundling in FFmpeg.

> Nobody honest would seriously try to argue the opposite.

I believe that you have high IQ, and good English skill, enough that you
should be able to more or less figure out what was noted above and up-thread.

And this puts me in a bit of a conundrum. See, if you did figure that much out,
then you would be willfully committing defamation against me, by calling me
dishonest. I suppose that I am going to have to assume that you are somehow
temporarily incapacitated.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/