[FFmpeg-devel] SDR lib comments

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Sep 28 22:28:35 EEST 2023

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:28:22PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-23 18:43:44)
> > Is a seperate library really the right choice for SDR in FFmpeg at this stage ?
> >
> > Also code can always be moved into an seperate library
>
> we've had postproc in the tree for ages, nobody maintains it or
> cares about it, yet it seems impossible to get rid of it.

what maintaince does it need ?
i mean i know the code is ugly but what _needs_ to be changed?

libpostproc implements part of ISO/IEC 14496-2
(that is the spec for an MPEG-4 ASP decoder)

its content could be moved in libavfilter and or the mpeg4 decoder
(there are arguments to be made for either)
but it doesnt belong in a lib external to FFmpeg.
(and in the process some bits probably can be droped as they
 no longer serve a purpose compared to other filters)

I have too many other things to work on to do a big refactoring of it
but if there are small bugs in it or questions about it i can look into them

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data