[FFmpeg-devel] SDR lib comments

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Fri Sep 29 12:43:36 EEST 2023

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-28 21:28:35)
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 12:28:22PM +0200, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2023-09-23 18:43:44)
> > > Is a seperate library really the right choice for SDR in FFmpeg at this stage ?
> > >
> > > Also code can always be moved into an seperate library
> >
> > we've had postproc in the tree for ages, nobody maintains it or
> > cares about it, yet it seems impossible to get rid of it.
>
> what maintaince does it need ?
> i mean i know the code is ugly but what _needs_ to be changed?
>
> libpostproc implements part of ISO/IEC 14496-2
> (that is the spec for an MPEG-4 ASP decoder)
>
> its content could be moved in libavfilter and or the mpeg4 decoder
> (there are arguments to be made for either)
> but it doesnt belong in a lib external to FFmpeg.
> (and in the process some bits probably can be droped as they
>  no longer serve a purpose compared to other filters)
>
> I have too many other things to work on to do a big refactoring of it
> but if there are small bugs in it or questions about it i can look into them

The main problem I see with it is that it is a world unto itself. It
barely interacts with the rest of the project, its APIs use a different
style from everything else, etc.

What does anybody gain from it being in our source tree, as opposed to a
separate library?

--
Anton Khirnov