[FFmpeg-devel] SDR lib comments

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Sep 29 16:29:39 EEST 2023

Le 29 septembre 2023 14:43:11 GMT+03:00, Nicolas George <george at nsup.org> a écrit :
>Anton Khirnov (12023-09-29):
>> What does anybody gain from it being in our source tree, as opposed to a
>> separate library?
>
>Not having to maintain yet another packaging and build system.

Talk about flimsy "scraps of the bottom of the barrel" reasons.

Considering the accumulated cruft in the FFmpeg build system, this is more of a reason *not* to share source trees - rationalise the build system (or use an off-the-shelf one, whatever rocks your boat).

>Not having an external dependency for something that could be considered
>a core feature.

A core feature that depends on niche hardware, and is only supported on a narrow subset of target platforms. Oxymoronic much?

If those are your reasons, you'd have better kept them to yourself, because they're frankly ridiculous.

Normally you'd bundle things because they are tightly coupled. But if they were tightly coupled, then there would be maintenance costs, so that's also a self-defeating argument.