[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Vote STF/SPI 2024-02

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 19:45:52 EET 2024

On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 5:29 AM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> To do the STF/SPI thing properly, and make sure we do what the Community
> wants.
> We should do this vote: (unless lots of people reply and say we should
> skip the vote)
> (i am also CCing jonatan to make sure the option in the vote actually ask
> the GA the
>  right question)
>
> The vote description will be as follows:
> The STF/SPI has suggested us to submit an Application / Scope of work
> before their february meeting.
> There are about 2 weeks left.
> The minimum grant is 150 000 €
> The next STF meeting is expected to be in may. If we submit in february
> and are not selected
> we can probably try again in may. Which would increase our chances
> If we do not submit in february we can probably submit in may.
> There is no guarantee that money will be available in may, for example
> between october 2023
> and february 2024 no funds where available AFAIK.
> Wiki page is here:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/STF/2024
>

> Option A. The Application and Scope of Work from the WIKI shall be
> submitted to STF/SPI before the february 2024 meeting, disagreements in it
> shall be decided by the TC. To achieve continuity, submission shall be done
> by the same person as previous if possible.
>
> Option B. No Application and Scope of Work shall be submitted in february
> 2024

Since all objections and requests for more time have been ignored, and this
is happening anyway, can we add a small amendment for the sake of
transparency and for avoiding any conflict of interest? Whoever was
involved with the STF/SPI talks cannot be the recipient of the sponsorship.
The same of course should apply to any other future funding, it must be
either the community (via GA) or a third party setting up the sponsorship.

I'm aware that would exclude Micheal, Thilo, and technically Jonatas, but
at this point it's the only way I can see this move forward in any
direction.

Jonatas any feedback on this possibility?
Thank you
--
Vittorio