[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Thu Feb 1 19:59:14 EET 2024

Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2024-02-01 00:07:02)

> about antons comment
> "Objections: (Anton) Coverity (and other static analysis tools) are notoriously prone to false positives. I am concerned that this might lead to a large number of patches that "fix" such false positives, but make the code worse."
>
> It was me years ago who brought the number of coverity issues down to
> a small number. It has exploded since.
>
> anton, where does this misstrust come from ?
> When i did all that fixing of covertiy issues long ago i closed many
> i think about 1/3 where real issues IIRC 2/3 where false positves or
> "intended" i closed the false positives and marked them accordingly as false or
> intended or whatever was correct.
>
> Why should i suddenly do something different ?
> I did it for 100% free back then
> and here it wouldnt even make sense, closing false positives also
> counts as resolved. Its less work even to get 70USD ;)

What's with this hurt-feelings tone? You ASKED people to comment on the
proposals, so I asked a question. You can just answer it, no need to get
all emotional about it. I don't stalk you or your commits, why do you
expect me to know that you worked on such issues "long ago"? I don't
even know one can close coverity issues manually.

What I do know is that I've seen similar initiatives run into this
pathology in the past, hence my question.

--
Anton Khirnov