[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Vote STF/SPI 2024-02

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Feb 1 21:13:02 EET 2024

On Thu, Feb 01, 2024 at 06:45:52PM +0100, Vittorio Giovara wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2024 at 5:29 AM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > To do the STF/SPI thing properly, and make sure we do what the Community
> > wants.
> > We should do this vote: (unless lots of people reply and say we should
> > skip the vote)
> > (i am also CCing jonatan to make sure the option in the vote actually ask
> > the GA the
> >  right question)
> >
> > The vote description will be as follows:
> > The STF/SPI has suggested us to submit an Application / Scope of work
> > before their february meeting.
> > There are about 2 weeks left.
> > The minimum grant is 150 000 €
> > The next STF meeting is expected to be in may. If we submit in february
> > and are not selected
> > we can probably try again in may. Which would increase our chances
> > If we do not submit in february we can probably submit in may.
> > There is no guarantee that money will be available in may, for example
> > between october 2023
> > and february 2024 no funds where available AFAIK.
> > Wiki page is here:
> > https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/STF/2024
> >

> > Option A. The Application and Scope of Work from the WIKI shall be
> > submitted to STF/SPI before the february 2024 meeting, disagreements in it
> > shall be decided by the TC. To achieve continuity, submission shall be done
> > by the same person as previous if possible.
> >
> > Option B. No Application and Scope of Work shall be submitted in february
> > 2024
> >

> Since all objections and requests for more time have been ignored, and this
> is happening anyway, can we add a small amendment for the sake of
> transparency and for avoiding any conflict of interest? Whoever was
> involved with the STF/SPI talks cannot be the recipient of the sponsorship.
> The same of course should apply to any other future funding, it must be
> either the community (via GA) or a third party setting up the sponsorship.
>
> I'm aware that would exclude Micheal, Thilo, and technically Jonatas, but
> at this point it's the only way I can see this move forward in any
> direction.

Its very easy to add a Option C to the vote

but there are 2 things that needs to be pointed out
First, this may be considered "not fair" by STF, fairness being one thing
that was explicitly mentioned in some of the mails from STF

Second we currently dont have enough people on the wiki page to even get close
to the minimum. So excluding from the few that are interrested in this is a strange
move. Unless one just wants this to fail.

"I am not trying to be anyone's saviour, I'm trying to think about the
 future and not be sad" - Elon Musk