[FFmpeg-devel] Sovereign Tech Fund

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Feb 4 15:41:15 EET 2024

Hi

On Sun, Feb 04, 2024 at 11:02:30AM +0100, J. Dekker wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 4, 2024, at 10:49, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't believe it is appropriate to hold the vote before Derek's
> > question is addressed.
> >
> > We don't really know what we're voting on here.
> >
> > Le 1 février 2024 20:22:14 GMT+01:00, Derek Buitenhuis
> > <derek.buitenhuis at gmail.com> a écrit :

> >>I do not believe this has been answered.
> >>
> >>- Derek
>

> The vote is unclear for me and also it was not explained who ‘the same person as before’ is, no reply or answer to this either. Hope Michael can clear this up.

As said on IRC, i thought people knew it, but ‘the same person as before’ is Thilo.

Ive updated the price design suggestion for the merge task, its 16€ / commit limited to 50k€
this comes from looking at pauls fork which has around 500 commits in 2 months thus
250 commits per month, 12 months, and if we allocate 50k that end with roughly 16€ / commit
if activity stays equal.

The task has ATM no developer on it. If a developer adds himself, he can change teh task
and specify what he proposes to merge.

I am totally perplexed why every dot on every i is such a big thing.

We are doing GSoC for a decade and noone cared about voting about anything in it.
The difference here is FFmpeg developers are benefiting from the money.

Neither GSoC nor STF binds the GA or FFmpeg to accept bad code. Have you thought
about this ? where would that come from ?

We send an application and a scope of work
FFmpeg is no legal entity we cant sign anything binding.
The developers doing the work can sign some binding text, that text might read
ill implement X and get Y payed, or i spend X hours working on Y and get Z paid.
If a devleoper signs "i will push this to ffmpeg" thats on the developer and her
problem if it gets rejected or reverted.

GSoC doesnt do this and i dont think any sane person would sign this, I myself
on consulting jobs generall point out to customers that i can do work X but cannot
gurantee acceptance in FFmpeg as sometimes things get rejected for hard to predict
reasons.

If you drop bombs on a foreign country and kill a hundred thousand
innocent people, expect your government to call the consequence
"unprovoked inhuman terrorist attacks" and use it to justify dropping
more bombs and killing more people. The technology changed, the idea is old.