[FFmpeg-devel] STF SoWs

Niklas Haas ffmpeg at haasn.xyz
Tue Feb 6 18:04:43 EET 2024

On Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:21:21 -0500 "Ronald S. Bultje" <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 10:15 AM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 09:18:20AM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > On Mon, Feb 5, 2024 at 9:06 PM Michael Niedermayer <
> > michael at niedermayer.cc>

> > > I think the goal is to get patches merged, not submitted.
> >
> > Yes but the individual developer cannot gurantee that.
> >

> In a bad situation, someone could send unmergeable patches and they will
> satisfy the legal requirement above for being paid out. I'm suggesting to
> protect the project against that situation.

Unless I misunderstood you, what you are proposing protects the
Sovereign Tech Fund (aka German government), not the FFmpeg project.
This would only be a concern if we were funding work directly from the
(non-existant) FFmpeg treasury.

(And to be frank, paying somebody to write unmergeable FFmpeg patches is
probably a better use of government grant money than many of the
alternatives.)