[FFmpeg-devel] STF SoWs

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Feb 6 23:23:04 EET 2024

On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 03:53:55PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 1:17 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > I wont work for months to
> > then be at the mercy of not a single of 2000 subscribers posting some
> > "i object" and all 2000 know in this situation it would cause an
> > inconvenience to me.
> >

> That's a strawman version of how our review process works. I don't know why
> you're bringing this up.

Our review process works by any developer who wants to, review and or comment
submitted patches. These are generally people who are active in FFmpeg development.

But anyone of the subscribers can comment and we generally encourage others
to comment if they have something to say.

Its true anyone of 2000 people could block a patch. This is not neccessary
for the argument at all though.

Even if it is just the 30 most active developers, the problem is still there.
I cannot gurantee that none of them will block a patch.

A wide range of different developers have had
disagreemnets over time. And disagreements have frequently blocked some
patches. As a person signing a SoW i cannot gurantee that noone will block
the work from being merged into git master.
Thus that is something i cannot sign.

What i can and did and do suggest is
"Patches submitted for review to the FFMPEG dev mailing list. As well as taking care of all reasonable review comments."

If "all reasonable review comments" is not enough then what are other
review comments ? Obviously it must be UNreasonable review comments
and no, i will not sign that.

Iam not going to spend the little free time i have working on this and
then have litterally "UNreasonable review comments" that iam contratually
obliged to somehow handle

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato