[FFmpeg-devel] STF SoWs

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Feb 8 06:08:24 EET 2024

On Wed, Feb 07, 2024 at 08:08:34AM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2024 at 7:58 AM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > Theres the person writing a SoW for work he wants to do.
> > Theres the person who accepts the SoW in FFmpeg
> > Theres the person who passes accepted SoW on to SPI/STF
> >
> > Iam sadly involved in more than one role here.
> >

> I think this is what Vittorio was referring to when he said this might be
> problematic. This is essentially what conflict-of-interest means. It
> doesn't mean that you're a bad person or doing something wrong, it simply
> means that there's overlapping goals. For example, in this case, there
> might be your personal goals ("get paid for work") vs the project goals
> ("get money for maintenance"). They're (partially) overlapping but not
> equal, because they're different angles of the same situation.
>
> Sometimes there is no ideal solution that satisfies everyone. As I said
> before, that's normal and that's OK.

Yes

To reduce this conflict of interrest problem. I asked Pierre if he can
take over the leading role in the current FFmpeg - STF/SPI thing
He was the only person who contacted me and helped with writing the SoW
example/template. He clearly has a more solid understanding of the SoW
process than i do, so i think that helps beyond just a reduction
of conflict of interrest.

it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle