[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] clarifying the TC conflict of interest rule

Anton Khirnov anton at khirnov.net
Tue Feb 20 10:22:57 EET 2024

Hi,
in the 'avcodec/s302m: enable non-PCM decoding' thread it became
apparent that there is wide disagreement about the interpretation of
this line in the TC rules:

> If the disagreement involves a member of the TC, that member should
> recuse themselves from the decision.

The word 'involves' in it can be intepreted a variety of very different
ways, to apply to TC members who e.g.:
1) authored the changes that are being objected to
2) are objecting to the changes
3) have any opinion on the changes, either positive or negative
4) have previously voiced an opinion that would apply to the changes
5) authored the code that is being modified
6) have a financial or other similar interest in a specific outcome of
   the disagreement

I believe the best way to address this is to make the rule more
explicit, so I propose that people with an opinion on the matter submit
their preferred wording, and then we can have the GA vote on it.

Cheers,
--
Anton Khirnov