[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] clarifying the TC conflict of interest rule

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Tue Feb 20 18:07:33 EET 2024

Anton Khirnov (12024-02-20):
> Hi,
> in the 'avcodec/s302m: enable non-PCM decoding' thread it became
> apparent that there is wide disagreement about the interpretation of
> this line in the TC rules:
>
> > If the disagreement involves a member of the TC, that member should
> > recuse themselves from the decision.
>
> The word 'involves' in it can be intepreted a variety of very different
> ways, to apply to TC members who e.g.:
> 1) authored the changes that are being objected to
> 2) are objecting to the changes
> 3) have any opinion on the changes, either positive or negative
> 4) have previously voiced an opinion that would apply to the changes
> 5) authored the code that is being modified
> 6) have a financial or other similar interest in a specific outcome of
>    the disagreement
>
> I believe the best way to address this is to make the rule more
> explicit, so I propose that people with an opinion on the matter submit
> their preferred wording, and then we can have the GA vote on it.

Considering that the role of the TC, like any body of this kind, is not
only to *decide* but to *convince* the involved parties that the
decision is *fair*,

Considering that to achieve that goal, the rules must not only exclude
real conflicts of interest but even the appearance of bias,

Considering that sitting on the TC is not a *right*, does not mean the
member is *above* the other developers, but rather a *duty*,

Considering that the TC has several members who take up the duty if one
or more members are recused or recuse themselves,

Considering that therefore it is best for the trust in the system to
exclude preventively all members of the TC who might exhibit a bias or
the suspicion of a bias to let decide the members who clearly had no
pre-conception on the issue,

I propose the very extensive rule that follows:

Any member of the TC who had a strong opinion on the question raised
before it was raised should recuse themselves.

In particular, must recuse themselves any member of the TC who:
- participated in the discussion (on the ML, on IRC or elsewhere) in a
  specific direction (minor comments and questions being acceptable);
- has a personal interest in the outcome;
- is, was recently or soon will be employed by an entity having a
  personal interest in the outcome or has any kind of hierarchical
  relationship with such entity.
Failure to do so would result, upon discovery, into the exclusion of all
FFmpeg governance bodies, including the general assembly, for a duration
of no less than five years.

Additionally, any member of the general assembly can recuse any member
of the TC without having to provide a reason.

If the application of these rules result in all members of the TC
recused or if the remaining members do not feel comfortable being too
few, that means the project is in a crisis of trust that needs to be
resolved by the general assembly.

--
  Nicolas George