[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] fate rsync switch to git

Jan Ekström jeebjp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 20:43:30 EET 2024

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 4:31 PM Michael Niedermayer
<michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I did hear (at fosdem?)
> about the idea to switch from rsync to git for managing the fate samples
> i thought the idea sounds interresting but isnt rsync more efficient ?

Do note that the idea was that this would only be for management of
the main archive, so it would not affect clients/runners rsync'ing
from the main archive.

Of course clients which want to sync directly from git could do that,
but the idea would be to keep the sync requirements same for FATE
clients/runners: if you are only running tests, rsync is enough.

As after all, the primary reasons for having the samples in git would
be versioning, more concrete known states in a public archive (I would
probably not call this a "backup", but it would mean we would have the
history in multiple places at least), as well as - if we utilize
something like git{lab,hub} - easier workflow to adding new samples by
means of f.ex. merge/pull requests.

This idea originated from looking at how the dav1d project handled
their reference sample suite, which seems to have served them well
enough: https://code.videolan.org/videolan/dav1d-test-data

Regards,
Jan