[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] clarifying the TC conflict of interest rule

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Tue Feb 20 21:32:19 EET 2024

On Tue, 20 Feb 2024, Anton Khirnov wrote:

> Quoting Marton Balint (2024-02-20 10:12:34)
>> We have no means to prove financial interest, because it is not public.
>
> We also have no means to prove that committee members are acting in the
> project's interest.
>
> E.g. if I had no qualms about being dishonest, I could always ask a
> friend to object to controversial patches in my place, so I wouldn't
> lose my vote, and nobody could prove it.
>
> In the end some things have to be taken on trust.

My concern is bad mouthing others based on assumed financial interest and
endless discussion if that interest is "serious" or not. If your payjob
uses ffmpeg, or if you ever want money for some ffmpeg related work, that
is a financial interest right there.

If somebody feels that voting would not be fair, he can always abstain.
I'd rather keep that fully trust based, to avoid rule interpretation
wars and discussions about assumed interests.

An interest is not inherently bad, selfish contributions (financial
reasons or not) is a huge factor in open source.

>> For practical reasons, using patch authorship is better. Or maybe a more
>> general solution against bias is somewhat increasing the number of people
>> in the TC, and removing this rule alltogether.
>
> I woould be concerned about making the TC too slow and unwieldy, it
> already takes a lot of effort to push any decisions through. Keep in
> mind that during all of its existence it only ever made two decisions,
> and one of them spent over a year in limbo.

So with 7 people, it would have been two years? :)

Have the TC meet weekly if there is an agenda, and have votes after
meeting. With more people it is not that big of a deal if somebody
cannot attend. And have a rule in place to resolve ties. It can be as
simple as to accept the proposal of the party who raised the issue to the
TC.

Regards,
Marton