[FFmpeg-devel] Swresample strangeness

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sun Feb 25 20:43:50 EET 2024

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 05:38:27PM +0100, Marton Balint wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a patch to select a better default packet size for the wav
> demuxer, since it reads at most 4096 bytes which can cause insanely small
> packets for files with high channel count.
>
> Unfortunately some swresample fate tests blew up, and I wonder if the result
> of the resampling should be dependant on size of the audio chunks which are
> being fed to it. My assumption is that if it causes audible difference in
> the output, then it is likely a bug in swresample, but I am not familiar
> with its code and its many tunable variables, so if someone could confirm,
> (or even better, fix it :)) that would be great.

From what you describe, the first thing that comes to mind are timestamps.
If you resample with timestamps that mismatch the exact values expected from
the sample rate. You will have different resuls when the packet size is changed.
Its the same data but at a different point in time and thats different then.

I have too many things to do though so i cant really look into this.

Take away the freedom of one citizen and you will be jailed, take away
the freedom of all citizens and you will be congratulated by your peers
in Parliament.