[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] clarifying the TC conflict of interest rule

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Feb 27 00:47:20 EET 2024

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 05:52:56PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> Quoting Michael Niedermayer (2024-02-24 00:27:08)
> > On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 10:14:20PM +0100, Anton Khirnov wrote:
> > > Quoting Niklas Haas (2024-02-20 21:50:33)

> > > Okay, that makes sense to me. I am then changing my proposal to:
> > > Each TC member must vote on such decision according to what is, in their
> > > view, best for the project. If a TC member feels they are affected by a
> > > conflict of interest with regards to the case, they should announce it
> > > and recuse themselves from the TC discussion and vote. A conflict of
> > > interest is presumed to occur when a TC member has a personal interest
> > > (e.g. financial) in a specific outcome of the case.
> > >
> > > If someone wants a "stronger" version of this among the voting options,
> > > feel welcome to propose one.
> >
> > Lets take a look at "the line"
> >
> > "If the disagreement involves a member of the TC, that member should recuse themselves from the decision."
> >
> > There are 3 obvious choices here:
> > 1: (unchanged) "If the disagreement involves a member of the TC, that member should recuse themselves from the decision."
> > 2: (must)      "If the disagreement involves a member of the TC, that member must   recuse themselves from the decision."
> > 3: (remove it) ""
> >
> > Thats what the vote should be about IMO.
> >
> > Then seperately, theres the question about the (unrelated) text you want to add
> > That too has 3 choices
> > 1. (unchanged) ""
> > 2. (should)    "conflict of interest ... they should announce it and recuse themselves ..."
> > 3. (must)      "conflict of interest ... they must   announce it and recuse themselves ..."
> >
> > Thats what a 2nd independant vote should be _IF_ we dont already have
> > a unanimous agreement about this.
> >
> > Now honestly why this uses a "should" after apparently
> > this very dissussion here showed that "should" is interpreted differently
> > by different people, i dont know.
> > I mean either we want people to recuse themselves or we dont if specific
> > circumstances apply. It cannot be in the per persons free choice if they
> > recuse themselves in a conflict of interrest.
> > This just makes no sense. ... Ohh i have a financial interrest in the
> > outcome, i dont have to recuse myself, i only "should" ahh ok ...
> >
> > The "Each TC member must vote on such decision according to what is, in their view, best for the project."
> > I suspect you can just propose adding this and without any vote.
> > There may be unanimous agreement for this
>
> I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

Look at the 3 patches i just posted.
I suspect we can move alot closer to what you suggest without a vote but
simply by consensus

And then do a vote just on what remains

> Do you want to propose another alternative for the vote?

If theres something remaining that we do not agree on then yes

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf