[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Jan 6 20:26:42 EET 2024

On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 08:11:51PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le lauantaina 6. tammikuuta 2024, 18.21.00 EET Lynne a écrit :
> > As for whether this is a lifestyle choice, we generally pay for anything
> > that involves conferences, from train tickets, planes, parking, and
> > sometimes for location/stand rent.
>
> I would personally agree that representing FFmpeg at (non-FFmpeg-specific)
> conferences is a choice of life style. But it is normal to refund reasonable
> expenses made to represent the project.
>
> > I'm asking for a useful bit of permanent hardware.
>
> I don't question that providing you with one development system with the
> relevant Vulkan hardware support and AVX-512 is (or was) justified. If you do
> all the work for free (or paid by some other entity than FFmpeg), that's
> indeed excellent ROI.
>
> But the "business" case for a *second* system with all the disadvantages of a
> laptop is frankly not so clear.

I think some kind of remotely usable system does make sense for every volunteer
who wants to work. It simply results in more available time for that work.

Even i (who doesnt travel volunteerly around) have needed and used my notebook
for FFmpeg away from my desktop system many times.
When ive spend some time in appartments of other familiy members, when i had to
change my own apartment due to very noisy neighbors and so forth

Maybe a compromise would be a cheap laptop that is just used to login and
access the more powerfull hardware via SSH ?

But IMO having _nothing_ to work on FFmpeg when one wants to work on FFmpeg
seems a kind of bad setup for FFmpeg.

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway