[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Sun Jan 7 03:55:44 EET 2024

Jan 7, 2024, 01:40 by kierank at obe.tv:

> On Sat, 6 Jan 2024, 19:00 Lynne, <dev at lynne.ee> wrote:
>
>> Jan 7, 2024, 00:36 by kierank at obe.tv:

>> when

>> > But didn't you say the ThinkPad doesn't support AVX-512?
>> >

>> Err, no? It has a 7840U, which according to
>> https://www.amd.com/en/product/13186
>> has support for AVX512.
>> I was initially confused as it's labelled as a Ryzen 7, and I thought
>> Ryzen 9s
>> were the ones based on Zen 4, but afaik both 7 and 9 are Zen 4.
>>

> There is still no reason why you couldn't use the dedicated NUC that has
> AVX512 and access it remotely with a much cheaper laptop.

It's more practical to work on a local machine without having to
compile everything, and setting up for accurate benchmarking is
doable as you wouldn't disturb anyone else's work by switching
the scheduler or fixing the frequency.
I also messaged you about getting access to the Ampere machine
a little over a week ago, but you didn't respond, so sysadmin latency
is high.