[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

Lynne dev at lynne.ee
Wed Jan 10 04:56:22 EET 2024

Jan 10, 2024, 03:31 by michael at niedermayer.cc:

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2024 at 06:42:40PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 01:56:12AM +0100, Lynne wrote:
>> > As some of you know, my laptop died nearly 2 years ago, and
>>
>> Why/how did the laptop die ?
>> is it unrepearable ?
>>

> ping

It was a 4th gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon. A few drops of water got in
between the caps lock before I noticed, by the time I did, it was too late.
Battery circuitry is dead so it only runs on AC, frequency controller is
dying so it runs at fixed Pentium II 350Mhz speeds, keyboard controller
sees keys pressed all the time, touchpad is dead, USB is dead.
The motherboard crammed essential components on the periphery
and non-essential replaceable components like wifi and 4g modem
right next to the CPU, so it was not great engineering.
It did live a long life for 7 years, but only the shell remains mostly usable.
I may not be able to put it back together as it was, since I lost some screws,
as I kept working on it for months.