[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Jan 15 19:30:10 EET 2024

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 05:10:03PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> Paul B Mahol (12024-01-15):
> > Business? Why is then this discussion public?
>
> Face it, the FFmpeg Libre Software project that we loved contributing to
> because it offered a space of freedom for like-minded hackers no longer
> exists, this is now a shallow annex of the FFlabs company.

No, FFmpeg is controlled by the general assembly, that you are a member of
From the GA 6 people i would say are associated with FFlabs one of these 6
hates FFlabs as it is currently. 2 more i think got occasionally paid by
FFlabs. (that is AFAIK it)

OTOH 43 developers in the GA are unrelated to FFLabs

so teh statement "is now a shallow annex of the FFlabs company." iam
not sure what facts that would be based on ...

That said, my wish was and is that FFlabs or a successor to FFlabs
would pay all the major developers of FFmpeg more or less in the order of
"git shortlog -s -n" excluding people inactive by choice.
For what _they_ (the developers themselfs) would consider important
to work on.

This is not FFlabs today, for mainly 2 reasons.
1. Not enough money really to pay more people
2. To get money, FFlabs needs to work on what customers pay for.

Now about your complaint about FFmpeg not being what you want.
If you cannot find a consensus with others, there is the Technical
Committee. You did not contact the TC.

Also, iam not sure you are entirely correct with your memory
FFmpeg certainly was more accepting with experimental, cutting edge
and at the border of FFmpegs scope things.

But I do not remember FFmpeg was ever accepting every random thing.

What has changed is the size of the community, more people means there
is a higher changce someone will disagree.
If you have an idea that makes sense for FFmpeg please try contacting
the Technical Committee if you cannot find a consensus.
If that fails, then we can discuss further. But dont be so negative
We can create a seperate branch where people can commit whatever they
want or some other more accepting ruleset. But this makes no sense
before an issue has even been raised with the TC

Thanks

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin