[FFmpeg-devel] Hardware purchase request: AVX512-capable laptop

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Jan 15 23:47:41 EET 2024

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 06:50:37PM +0000, Kieran Kunhya wrote:

> > If you think it's reasonable, you shouldn't block it.
> > If you have conditions, you should concisely state them.
> > If you think this is entirely unreasonable and falls outside of the scope
> > of
> > the project's donation funds, then I would expect you to apply the
> > same pragmatic standards when it comes to future refund requests,
> > be it personal choices such as parking and travel expenses.
> >

> Your laptop choice is one of the most expensive in the market and likely
> much more expensive than the laptop the majority of developers use.
> Buy an 11th Gen Intel NUC and a cheap laptop and access it remotely.
>
> By your own analogy you want SPI to pay for your First Class ticket from
> London to New York when there are cheaper alternatives.

I think Lynnes first choice was a ASUS vivo book

what about this one ?

https://geizhals.eu/asus-vivobook-14-f415ea-eb269-slate-grey-90nb0tt2-m03310-a2557528.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

Its a small 14inch ASUS vivo book with 11th gen Intel, non glare IPS screen for 349€
it has only 8gb which is non upgtadeable the disk iam sure can be upgraded if needed

or if you want a bigger notebook with upgradability to at least 16gb
check these
https://geizhals.de/?cmp=3061202&cmp=3025372&cmp=3009388&cmp=2894111&cmp=3083934&cmp=3027428&cmp=3081782&cmp=2986117&active=0
all below 500€
intel 11th gen or later, IPS screens

Thx

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle