[FFmpeg-devel] h264 - Late SEI is not implemented

Leo Izen leo.izen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 01:46:56 EET 2024

On 1/23/24 18:21, Harald Linden via ffmpeg-devel wrote:

> Is this interesting to you? Do you want me to upload the sample? It
> might be of dubious nature regarding copyright, depending on local
> legislation.
>
> regards
>
> Harald

You can try to truncate the file to the smallest size that reproduces
the issue, for example via something like:

truncate --size=1024 input.mkv

This will set the file size of input.mkv to 1024 bytes, discarding all
data after it. This is destructive! Make a backup first. It's a good
idea to truncate samples *anyway* regardless of legal ramifications.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. However, as far as I
understand, Tiny samples for the sake of reproducing technical errors,
that were obtained legally, are likely to be covered by Fair Use in most
jurisdictions. If you aren't sure, you can always double check with the
third party that you obtained the file from. You can also host the
sample elsewhere, such as your own website, or on a site like 0x0.st, if
you are concerned about Videolan's jurisdiction.

- Leo Izen (Traneptora)